Join us for a fun-filled day as our grassy courtyard comes to life!
71 Lawrence Street, Glens Falls, New York 12801 • (518) 907-4478
Join us for our third annual LocalFest: Stuff Made Here, a celebration of all things locally-made!
The rain-or-shine FREE event is a diverse festival to honor the history and continued tradition of entrepreneurship and creativity that makes the greater Glens Falls region so special.
What is LocalFest?
LocalFest is a celebration of all things locally made.The third annual event, scheduled for Saturday, September 6, 2014, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., takes place at the historic Shirt Factory at the corner of Lawrence and Cooper Streets in Glens Falls, New York. The building was once home to the McMullen-Leavens Company, one of the nation’s greatest shirt and dress manufacturers. Today the building continues this tradition of artistry and excellence by providing a home to more than 80 artists and artisans’ studios, shoppes, galleries and creative and healing services.
Glens Falls is truly a unique city in that it has a strong history of manufacturing that continues to contribute to and shape the community. The current national trend of shopping locally is embodied by communities like Glens Falls which not only features many independent businesses but also boasts a number of manufacturers who create value right here in the City, just as the McMullen-Leavens Company did from 1902 to 1976.
What is on the calendar?
Here is what we have planned:
ARTIST DEMONSTRATIONS, SALES, FREEBIES & MORE INSIDE
Tour the four floors of The Shirt Factory and shop local and independent specialty shops, browse fine art galleries, view artists at work, enjoy free samples and learn how this art is made. Free acupuncture, special sales and more!
We have a full day’s lineup of acoustic local acts outside in our courtyard. Lineup TBA, but acts include Drew Wardle, Ramblers Home, Krishna Chandra, Luke Garrett, Cie M., Lilting Forward and Sonic Ascent. This is coordinated and emceed by musician and volunteer Stephen Gallucci.
FOOD & CRAFT BEVERAGES
Taste specialty foods and enjoy locally brewed iced tea, beer and wine.
GUEST ARTISTS, ARTISANS & BUSINESSES
Shop from guest artists and artisans outside on our lawn, and learn about your local businesses and what they have to offer.
FUN STUFF FOR KIDS
Area non-profits will be tabling the event with free children’s activities, membership information and volunteer opportunities. There will also be a bounce house!
SHIRT FACTORY THEMED SHOW
Inside our Shirt Factory Gallery on the first floor, view Shirt Factory themed artwork by local artists in this juried show called “Shirt Factory @ 15,” celebrating our 15th year as the arts and healing center we have come to be.
BENEFIT GLENS FALLS PLEIN AIR ART SHOW
In the hallway on our second floor, view and purchase art created “en plein air” (live, rather than from a photograph!) around the City of Glens Falls on the citywide Paint Out! 50% of proceeds from sales from this pop-up show benefit the Open Door’s Code Blue emergency shelter efforts.
FREE BUSINESS SEMINARS
In Betty O’Brien’s Watermedia Academy on our second floor, attend one or more free seminar to help small businesses. Presenters include SCORE, SUNY Adirondack, Edward Jones and others TBA.
New this year: A second stage for performances! Acts include a dance demonstration by Adirondack Ballet Theater and a fight demonstration by the Society for Creative Anachronism. Note: We are still accepting additional acts for this stage!
In the Shirt Factory Gallery on our first floor, there will be local history talks during the morning. Presenters TBA.
In Adirondack Quilts Too on the first floor, local authors will read from their works and sign books they have for sale. This is coordinated and emceed by author and volunteer Maury Thompson.
Who are the exhibitors?
- Vendor list TBA. Here is the 2014 application. Apply today!
Who are the sponsors?
This event is made possible by our wonderful sponsors:
• PJN Photography
• Adirondack North Country Association
• Glens Falls Art, LLC
• Craig Murphy Photography
• Rock Hill Bakehouse Cafe
• Glens Falls Farmer’s Market
• Lower Adirondack Regional Arts Council (LARAC)
• Mindful Massage @ The Lemon Tree Yoga & Healing Arts Studio
• Glens Falls Area Realty
• Downtown Glens Falls - Glens Falls Collaborative
• Ledge Rock Hill Winery
• Davidson Brothers
How can I exhibit?
The event showcases businesses and artisans who are manufacturing locally, whether it be paper, cement, TV listings, catheters, baked goods, beer, soda, ice cream, produce, art, fine craft, metal, food… the sky’s the limit!
We invite you to join us as part of the colorful tapestry of local manufacturing.
- Businesses are strongly encouraged to demonstrate or create a display of their manufacturing process, and are also welcomed to provide informational and promotional material about their company, recruit new hires and offer coupons.
- Artists and artisans are strongly encouraged to offer demonstrations of their technique and sell their wares.
- Food and beverage producers and restaurateurs are invited to sell their items as refreshments for the event, offer samples and tastings, and are strongly encouraged to offer information about their process. They may also carry coupons and promotions for their business.
- Non-profit and cultural organizations are invited to table the event at a discounted rate of $25. This fee is waived if the organization offers a free interactive activity for children.
Exhibitor applications are due by July 15, 2014.
What do I need to know, as an exhibitor?
- LocalFest is scheduled for Saturday, September 6, 2014 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- It is a rain-or-shine event.
- The Shirt Factory is located at the corner of Lawrence and Cooper Streets in Glens Falls, New York. Using GPS? Look us up at 71 Lawrence Street, Glens Falls, NY 12801.
- It is an outdoor event.
- Bring your own tent, table and chair. These are not provided.
- Your booth size is 10′ x 10′ square.
- Please help us promote. We will have posters and postcards for you by August 1, 2014.
SET UP AND TAKE DOWN
- Set up is from 8 to 10 a.m. We ask that you have your booth completely set up by 9:30 a.m.
- Please check-in at the Shirt Factory Information Booth, located in the courtyard by the Lawrence Street entrance. Here you will be given a welcome packet and a copy of the map.
- You will be able to drive into the courtyard to unload but after unloading, all vendors are required to park away from the building. We will direct you to a parking lot within walking distance that you can use. Do not park in the Shirt Factory parking lots! We must leave parking spaces open for visitors.
- Take down is from 5 to 7 p.m. Please do not begin taking down until 5 p.m.
- If selling food or beverage, you will need the proper permits.
- We require a copy with the application. Please be in touch with us if you are unsure about what the proper permits are.
- If selling items, you will need to register to collect sales tax and display your Certificate of Authority in your booth.
- Booth fees are not refundable in the case of inclement weather or if the vendor cancels within 2 weeks of the event.
- We reserve the right to reject applications for any reason. In the case of a rejection, the booth fee is refundable. Please make checks payable to Shirt Factory Gallery.