Stay tuned for announcements about
Save the Date: Saturday, Sept. 6, 2014
Thank you for joining us for a wonderful day.
Info about LocalFest 2013:
The rain-or-shine event is an exciting showcase of both the history and continued tradition of manufacturing in Glens Falls and the surrounding region.
Join us for a fun-filled day as our grassy courtyard comes to life!
71 Lawrence Street, Glens Falls, New York 12801 • (518) 907-4478
- 10 Bands Performing Live
- Children’s Activities All Day: Fire Truck, Pony Rides, Bounce House, Face Painting & More
- Artist Demonstrations
- Two Local History Talks
- 8 Authors Read from their Works
- Four floors to explore inside The Shirt Factory! Shop, Browse Galleries & View Artists at Work
- Fine Art and Crafts for Sale by Guest Artisans
What is LocalFest?
LocalFest is a celebration of all things locally made.The second annual event, scheduled for Saturday, September 7, 2013, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., takes place at the historic Shirt Factory at the corner of Lawrence and Cooper Streets in Glens Falls, New York. The building was once home to the McMullen-Leavens Company, one of the nation’s greatest shirt and dress manufacturers. Today the building continues this tradition of artistry and excellence by providing a home to more than 80 artists and artisans’ studios, shoppes, galleries and creative and healing services.
Glens Falls is truly a unique city in that it has a strong history of manufacturing that continues to contribute to and shape the community. The current national trend of shopping locally is embodied by communities like Glens Falls which not only features many independent businesses but also boasts a number of manufacturers who create value right here in the City, just as the McMullen-Leavens Company did from 1902 to 1976.
What is on the calendar?
LocalFest features a number of local artists and crafters selling their wares and giving demonstrations, plus local food, local businesses, area arts and nonprofit organizations and much more outside in the courtyard. We have more than 35 exhibitors! Inside The Shirt Factory, folks can tour the historic building, shop at the first floor stores, view artists at work and browse galleries.
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
Shedding light on the past with multimedia history talks inside the Shirt Factory Gallery all morning.
10:15 a.m. “They Call it The Shirt Factory. What about McMullen Dresses?” with Tim Weidner of Chapman Historical Museum
11:00 a.m. “Logging in the Local Area” with logging historian Dick Nason
A full day of homegrown live music on the lawn with a mini music festival featuring ten local acts. Organized and emceed by pianist Stephen Gallucci (volunteer).
10:00 a.m. Opening remarks and National Anthem
10:15 a.m. The Skirts
10:40 a.m. Fight demo by Society for Creative Anachronism
11:20 a.m. Babies in Trees
12:10 p.m. Sam Sarsalari
12:50 p.m. The WonderBeards
1:40 p.m. Chris Cronin
2:20 p.m. Alicia Bautista
2:50 p.m. Gary Moon
3:20 p.m. Lucas Garrett
4:15 p.m. Erratic Disturbance
All afternoon, local writers read from their own recent works inside the Shirt Factory Gallery. Organized and emceed by writer Maury Thompson (volunteer).
12:45 p.m. Carol Gregson
1:15 p.m. Bernice Mennis
1:45 p.m. Vincent Palazzo
2:15 p.m. David Cederstrom
2:45 p.m. Larry Dudley
3:15 p.m. David Blow
3:45 p.m. Persis Granger
4:15 p.m. Pat Leonard
Bounce house, face painting, pony rides, paper doll project, fire truck tours and other children’s activities with organizations such as the Chapman Historical Museum, Society for Creative Anachronism, World Awareness Children’s Museum, LARAC, The Hyde Collection, Glens Falls Farmer’s Market, Tri-County Transition Initiative, Glens Falls Collaborative, North Country Arts Center, Dance Center of Queensbury and others.
SPECIAL EVENTS INSIDE THE SHIRT FACTORY
Suite 105: “Falling Waters” show of David Avigdor photography at BJSArtworks Gallery on the first floor in Suite 105. Book signing by Vicki Adesso Dodd from 2 to 4 p.m. Reception for the photo show from 4 to 6 p.m.
Suite 309: Pottery by Debbie D offering ongoing pottery demonstrations during the day in Suite 309 on third floor.
Who are the exhibitors?
- Adirondack Broadcasting/WNYQ (Platinum Sponsor) – Live broadcast
- Glens Falls National Bank and Trust Co. (Silver Sponsor)
- O’Brien Insurance (Silver Sponsor) – Car on display
- Kate Boyle – JRebeccaStudio (Bronze Sponsor) – Prints for sale, open studio instruction
- Thomson Gallery (Bronze Sponsor)
- LARAC (Bronze Sponsor) – Info and children’s activity
- SensibiliTeas (Bronze Sponsor) – Selling beverages
- Glens Falls Area Realty (Bronze Sponsor)
- East End Eatery (Bronze Sponsor) – Food and beverages for sale
- Jeanne’s Bags – Purses
- Cindy’s Custom Quilts – Quilted items
- Secondhand Productions – Jewelry from recycled watch parts
- Charles R. Wood Theater - Promo materials, info, recruiting and ticket raffle
- Natural Selection Farm Winery, LLC – Wine tasting
- BeWear Designs – Jewelry and housewares
- This is Dreams – Papercrafts and hand painted objects
- Northeast Parent and Child Society – Info about foster care
- Jeffrey Gaveletz Photography and Woodworking – Wares for sale
- Tri-County Transition Initiative of Warren, Washington & Essex Counties – Free educational materials, children’s activities, focus on alternative energy
- Karen Bolduc – Wood carved sculptures
- Glens Falls Farmers Market – Information, free samples, Happy Face FX Face Painting
- Casey Beal Designs – Wares for sale
- Dancing Magpie Designs – Sterling silver jewelry
- Myste Lane Crafts – Crafts for sale
- The Hyde Collection – Art activities and Hyde information
- John & Sandy Lee – Lathe turned pens and handmade dolls
- Dance Center of Queensbury/Adirondack Ballet Theater – Demos, promo material, info, enrollment
- And others!
Who are the sponsors?
- Glens Falls National Bank and Trust Co.
- O’Brien Insurance
- The Chronicle
- Mannix Marketing
- Rock Hill Bakehouse
- Kate Boyle – JRebeccaStudio
- Thomson Gallery
- Glens Falls Area Realty
- East End Eatery
How can I exhibit?
The event showcases businesses and artisans who are manufacturing locally, whether it be paper, cement, TV listings, catheters, baked goods, beer, soda, ice cream, produce, art, fine craft, metal, food… the sky’s the limit!
We invite you to join us as part of the colorful tapestry of local manufacturing.
- Businesses provide informational and promotional material about their company, to demonstrate their manufacturing process and to recruit new hires.
- Artists and artisans may sell their wares and offer demonstrations of their technique.
- Food and beverage producers and restaurateurs may sell their items as refreshments for the event and offer information about their process and promotions for their business.
- Non-profit and cultural organizations are invited to table the event at a discounted rate of $25. This fee is waived if the organization offers a free interactive activity for children
APPLICATION DEADLINE EXTENDED! Call 518-907-4478 to ask if space is still available.
What do I need to know, as an exhibitor?
- LocalFest is scheduled for Saturday, September 7, 2013 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- It is a rain-or-shine event.
- The Shirt Factory is located at the corner of Lawrence and Cooper Streets in Glens Falls, New York. Using GPS? Look us up at 71 Lawrence Street, Glens Falls, NY 12801.
- It is an outdoor event.
- Bring your own tent, table and chair. These are not provided.
- Your booth size is 10′ x 10′ square.
- Please help us promote. We will have posters and postcards for you by August 1, 2013.
SET UP AND TAKE DOWN
- Set up is from 8 to 10 a.m. We ask that you have your booth completely set up by 10 a.m.
- Please check-in at the Shirt Factory Information Booth, located in the courtyard by the Lawrence Street entrance. Here you will be given a welcome packet and a copy of the map.
- You will be able to drive into the courtyard to unload but after unloading, all vendors are required to park away from the building. We will direct you to a parking lot within walking distance that you can use. Do not park in the Shirt Factory parking lots! We must leave parking spaces open for visitors.
- Take down is from 5 to 7 p.m. Please do not begin taking down until 5 p.m.
- If selling food or beverage, you will need the proper permits.
- We require a copy with the application. Please be in touch with us if you are unsure about what the proper permits are.
- If selling items, you will need to register to collect sales tax and display your Certificate of Authority in your booth.
- Booth fees are not refundable in the case of inclement weather or if the vendor cancels within 2 weeks of the event.
- We reserve the right to reject applications for any reason. In the case of a rejection, the booth fee is refundable. Please make checks payable to Shirt Factory Gallery.