The McMullen-Leavens Company
Designed by architect Ephraim Potter , the building was constructed in 1902. The McMullen-Leavens Company was known for its shirts and eventually expanded into dressmaking. In 1939 the company acquired the label of Troy Shirt Makers Guild from a competitor in Troy, NY. The Troy Shirt Makers label would eventually account for almost 70% of high-end men’s shirt production in the United States. A retail outlet was located at the Cooper street entrance. One can still see the marks, grooves and indents in the wooden floors of the building from the sewing machines and other equipment.
The factory continued operations until 1996 when globalization of the textile industry took its toll on domestic textile manufacturing. In 1999 the building was reborn as a location for art galleries, studios and other small businesses and has become a popular destination.